Warning: Parameter 2 to wp_hide_post_Public::query_posts_join() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/customer/www/afropuffchronicles.com/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 307
Hey! I’m Claire, a 19-year-old Design student from California. Art has always played a huge role in my life. Like many, I started taking studio classes at a young age and continued on. But over time, it grew to feel like a task. I felt less and less creative as I went to weekly art classes and fell into a routine of painting and sketching the same things. It wasn’t until I first experienced film developing and darkroom technique in 2015 that my work became personal and passionate.
Film is so different from the other mediums I have used. It’s not just an SD card or an automatic click. It’s physically creating an image. The amount of control I have, which at first seemed like a great amount of pressure, gives way to a new side of me. It’s a game of pushing different buttons and knobs, trying to see what I can do to make the second image different from the first. The more I play around with time, light, and color, the more comfortable I become.
I am constantly grateful for the people and locations I’ve been able to capture and experience. Below are some photos that remind me of great moments.
- Sunset at Willard Straight Hall (Ithaca, NY).
- My grandma and great-grandma making lunch in the kitchen (Seoul, Korea).
- Climbing a huge rock at the beach (Laguna Beach, CA)
- Driving down to the campsite (Kings Canyon, CA).
- Friends in the ocean (Newport, CA).
- Our candle-lit table (Seoul, Korea).
- The Johnson Museum during the winter (Ithaca, NY).
- The backyard with Alix (Irvine, CA).
Follow me on Instagram for more pictures! @chairkloi @clairesfilmlog